Floral Photo Canvas




As an empty nester, I find myself cleaning out boxes, cabinets, and drawers, and ridding myself of unnecessary pieces of past lives and those “papers” that have no meaning and should have been discarded years ago. However, I have a stack of cards that keeps growing year by year. There are several that are from friends who no longer keep in touch and I wondered what to do with them. These cards are lovely, and I hated the thought of simply tossing them out. Thankfully, I was prepping to make paper and I thought, “What better way to recycle and share the love and joy that came with those cards?” So, off to the blender I went. I also dragged hubby kicking and screaming into the papermaking process so that I could “teach” him how to make paper. He was impressed.

For this project, I made a crafty version of the traditional photo on the wall. I am currently making a wall of these types of family photographs in 10 x 10 size. This project is 5 x 7 and will be sent to my son and daughter-in-law because it features their brand new baby, Whitlee Cove! To create this lovely photo, you’ll need the following materials:





Arnold Grummer’s Papermaking Supplies

And additional tools: sponge, tray, tub, towels, press bar*

When creating the 8 ½ x 11 paper, I tore up two old cards, added the petals and some tissue paper, then dripped a copious amount of food coloring in red and yellow. I blended the materials and completed the papermaking process.

After the paper was dry, I began collecting the following materials:

5 x7 gallery-wrapped canvas
Ruler for ripping extra paper off from the edges of the canvas
Gelly Roll pen in black
Copic marker in dark brown
Stickles
Scissors
Aleene’s Tacky Glue
Embossing stamp pad
Large adhesive foam circles
Distress stain in Antiques Bronze
Distress embossing powder in Vintage Photo
Gold and burgundy embossing powders
Rhinestone stickers
Ribbon
Craft flowers
Chipboard heart
Baby photo printed on white cardstock



This is an easy project to assemble! First, glue the handmade paper to the canvas. While it is drying, emboss the heart with the embossing powders. Only sprinkle a little of each color onto the heart. Fussy cut the photo and glue it to a piece of thin chipboard that was cut into the same shape as the photo. Add the foam circles to the back then adhere the photo to the canvas. Add as many flowers as you wish to enhance the photo. I used a small number of flowers, but you might want to be generous. It is up to you! Glue the ends of the ribbon to the back off the canvas. Add the rhinestone stickers—again, as many or as few as you like—then glue the heart on to the photo and on top of the ribbon. You don’t have to use a heart. However, because this lovely little granddaughter has my heart, I thought it appropriate. My final step was to add some bling to the flowers using Stickles. 
You could also add your signature on the piece by writing your initials or your name on the bottom right of the photo. You can also use a wax seal as an added bit of interest. I like the idea of putting the canvas on an easel, but you might also consider adding a ribbon hanger to the top of the canvas and hanging your creation on the wall. 
Be sure to let all parts of the canvas dry before you begin handling it to avoid messing up your sweet little canvas photo. And. . .once it is dry, post a photo of it on the Arnold Grummer Facebook page (you are liking and following us, right?) and the Mystic Spring Studios Facebook page. I can’t wait to see your floral photo canvas!

Anne Marie

Want to know more about me? Find me online at:



Comments

  1. What a lovely keepsake you've created, Anne Marie! I'm sure they will treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet floral canvas you created, made all the more special with Whitlee Coves' beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WONDERFUL project and such a sweet new baby too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! its a beautiful creation. You are a genius artist. If you want to save your time and create something more different then you can also use a art canvas appon your phone. Download, upload and create your own canvas according to your choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to create watermarks in your handmade paper

How to polish paper with a stone

Chigiri-e Japanese torn paper collage