We had interesting themes when we swapped handmade books online a few years ago. It was always fun seeing what each person made. The books had content, except when we would have a Blank Book Exchange or a How-To Book Binding.
The How-To Book Binding theme always received the most participation! We included the paper and instructions. I sent the Ribbon Binding - pretty and an easy book to make. It requires only 4 pages with a cover, plus a good amount of ribbon. Especially good for using leftover hand-made paper scraps.
Cover: 5 1/2 by 8 inches, folded in half to 4 inches by 5 1/2 inches
Paper: 4 pages 5 1/2 by 8 inches, also folded in half - I used stationery with roses on the edges
Pretty Hand-made paper: 3 by 4 inches - Paper that I made with flower inclusions
Optional paper for framing the handmade paper on the cover: 2 1/2 by 3 1/2
Ribbon: 4 feet; Double sided tape
Two beads with large holes
• Start by wrapping the ribbon around the outside into the inside middle of the cover. Tie a knot at the top leaving 6 inches of ribbon - where you’ll add a bead
- Fold in one page wrapping the ribbon around the valley fold of the page. Loop through the ribbon at the bottom
- Fold in the second page and wrap the ribbon, loop through the ribbon at the top
- Proceed doing the same for the next two pages and you’ll arrive back at the top.
- Tie another knot at the top.
- Knots at top and bottom -
- To avoid pages slipping, cover the ribbon binding with frame and hand-made paper.
- Thread beads to the ribbon. The beads should have large holes to go through the ribbon. Tie a knot at the end of the bead.
Fun to make, put the book in an Easter Basket! Plus fun to keep for a little diary or journal.