Dream Journal


A few years ago, my third child, Candice, and I were discussing the nature of dreams and their meanings. We both have a huge interest in what dreams mean and how they can inform our lives. She has been diligent about writing her dreams down. I, on the other hand, tend to forget my dreams as soon as my feet hit the floor. As I thought about what to create for this next project, I pulled out my box of treats from Arnold Grummer's Papermaking and was reminded of the Make Your Own Book kit. I thought just how perfect this would be for writing my dreams down. If I could keep the book next to me on the night table, I could write my dreams down before my feet hit the floor!

Of course, it would have to function much like an art journal so that if my dreams were extremely vivid and visual, I could draw them instead of writing narratives about them. As a result, I decided to create a dream journal that could function as a writing journal and an art journal. This actually combines my two loves: writing and art. What a great dual journal!

In the video below, you can see how I moved from step to step creating the base, then the book, then the cover. Of course, the book lends itself to so many options that you can make several! These would also be great gifts for the writers, dreamers, and artists in your life.




WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

1. Arnold Grummer's Make Your Own Book kit
2. Decorative paper (There are great options at your local Blick Art Store or online at many online retailers.)
3. Scor-Tape
4. Glue
5. Stencils (There are some great ones at StencilGirl Products!)
6. Embossing Ink and Embossing Powder
7. Chipboard Tag
8. Scrapbook Paper
9. Ephemera of your choice
10. Ribbon
11. Word stamp
12. Pop Dots

HOW TO MAKE IT:

Note that I have slightly altered the kit instructions. You can, of course, follow the kit instructions if you prefer.

1. For the cover, measure out the decorative paper so that you have a quarter inch border around one of the covers and one of the border pieces. Fold the paper so that you have it score around the edges. Cut out the excess paper at the corner so that you have a notch. Glue the paper down.
2. Take the other color and cut a strip that is about two inches wide and about twelve inches long. Fold the long edges about 3/16" width so that you have a nice edge.
3. Lay the border and the cover next to each other with about an 1/8" distance between them. The kit uses a different measurement but I like this one best. Place Scor-Tape on the edges closest together. Flip the strip of secondary paper over and place Scor-Tape on the very edges where you folded them in. Peel the cover strips off and adhere the second color to the front. Flip the cover section over and seal the remaining pieces down.
4. For the back cover, follow the kit instructions.
5. Cut two pieces of scrapbook paper about a 1/4" shorter in width and length than the covers and glue them onto the interior side of both covers.
6. Take a chipboard tag and trace it onto a piece of paper. Lay the paper onto the front cover in the space you wish for it to inhabit. Place the stencil on top and stamp with the embossing ink. Check to be sure the ink has applied to the cover adequately before removing the stencil. Remove the paper tag and emboss the cover.
7. Cut a piece of scrapbook paper (the same as the interior) in the same shape as the tag with about a 1/4" edge remaining on the left and right and glue it onto the chipboard tag. Place Pop Dots on the back of the tag and adhere to the journal cover.
8. Add ephemera and ribbon.
9. Assemble the book as instructed in the kit and add any additional ribbon or ephemera that pleases you.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:

1. To enhance your writing process, consider buying a quill pen. It will change your writing attitude!
2. Consider making a journal for a new mother so she can write down observations as her young one grows.
3. One option for this journal is to create a messy journal. My example is a bit clean but messy journals are also fun. Think about using lots of fabric, ribbons, and lace.

Enjoy!

Anne Marie



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to create watermarks in your handmade paper

How to polish paper with a stone

Chigiri-e Japanese torn paper collage