© Michele Emerson-Robert 2016
When I was playing several weeks ago with paints, stencils and handmade paper backgrounds, I found the whole process addictive and just keep going and going! Each background “speaks” to me as to how it wants to be completed. Sometimes it is with a stamp and a ribbon, or perhaps it is a die cut and a ribbon. Changing the colors can make a huge difference in the “feel” of a stenciled background (compare the blue and white card to the peach and blue card from Aug. 19th--the same stencil was used.
· Any of the Arnold Grummer® paper making kits
· Blender, cello sponges and soft towels
· A sunny window
· Scraps of white paper (think junk mail, etc.)
· Die: Quiet Fire Designs™ EC#1159 “Faith”
· Westcott™ paper trimmer and scissors
· Beacon ZipDryTM adhesive
· Stencils: Dreamweaver™ Mosaic Circles, hand cut “filigree” stencil (used a die cut that didn’t cut well……smile)
· MH7084-H “Each day……..”
· Ribbon: Winter White seam binding
· Iron to make the paper smooth
1. Follow the instructions found in any of the Arnold Grummer™ paper making kits to create white slurry and create one or more sheets of medium weight handmade paper.
2. Allow the paper to dry.
3. Iron the paper to make it smooth.
4. 5 x 7” card: Score and fold the royal blue card stock to create a 5 x 7” card.
5. Cut a white layer piece and a smaller white piece to stencil.
6. Use the Stylus™ to apply royal blue ink through the Mosaic Circle stencil. Vary the color.
7. Allow the ink to dry.
8. Layer the stenciled piece onto the white piece.
9. Attach the seam binding ribbon to the back side and tie a bow in the middle top of the layered piece.
10. Attach the layered piece to the center of the card front.
11. Die cut the word “Faith” from a scrap of heavy weight handmade paper.
12. Attach the die cut word to the bottom of the layered piece.
13. 4 ¼ x 5 ½ “card: Score and fold the white card stock to create a 4 ¼ x 5 ½” card.
14. Cut a piece of handmade paper to stencil 3 ½ x 4 3/8”.
15. Use the Stylus™ to apply the turquoise and hot pink inks through the filigree stencil. Clean the tip between colors.
16. Allow the ink to dry.
17. Stamp “Each day…..” with black ink on the right hand side of the stenciled piece
18. Attach the seam binding to the back of the stenciled piece. Tie a bow at the front.
19. Center & attach the stenciled piece to the front of the white card.