Butterflies are free

Hi everyone, this is my first post as an official member of the Arnold Grummer Design Team and I am so excited about making paper. It has been a blast to play with and it thrills my frugal heart to know that I am recycling!

I admit I was a little timid about making actual paper at first so I began by making lots of pulp (which are processed fibers) and watching lots of Arnold Grummer videos. I really enjoy watching his videos and would love to have met him in person, I bet he was a lot of fun to be around!

 The first video that really caught my eye was the one on Paper Pulp Painting. So I took his idea and ran with it.While I working on it I had artists from the studio peering over my shoulder as I literally painted a canvas with paper pulp. I think what I enjoyed the most was using the pin technique to paint the black lines with. When you dip the pin into your paper slurry (water with fibers) it will pick up the fibers and you can then use the pin to "draw" with.
( p. 92 Trash-to-Treasure Papermaking )
 Everything on the front of this canvas is paper pulp except for my signature.


Feeling a little braver I set out to do a bigger canvas, painting again with paper. The butterfly is made up entirely of paper pulp which is then covered with DecoArts soft varnish. Just so you know, the book, Trash-to-Treasure Papermaking explains how papers are nothing more than a little batch of fibers that bond together when laid down into a thin, even mat. You can learn a lot from this book, it's amazing and has become my source for learning.

If you would like to see a very short slide show of my making the butterfly with instructions, then please check this out. It was a fun and simple technique which gives your project a nice dimension and will amaze everyone when you say you painted with paper!


Supplies used:



Blender, small strainer, cello sponges, cooch sheets and screen,

DecoArts Multi Surface acrylic paints and Soft Varnish,


and a special thank you to Donna Downey for supplying her inspiration for the 


background of my canvas during the Big Picture Class.





Ready to join me for some paper making fun?

You can use the discount Jan20 and order your own papermaking supplies from the fabulous Arnold Grummer store!

Comments

  1. The butterfly is stunning! I loved seeing it being in process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! It was so fun to watch you do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fascinating!!! I love the video you created showing us just how you painted with paper. Amazing and beautiful. I bet there's tons of dimension also. Good job Sandee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your butterfly looks beautiful! Looks like fun too. I also like your video on the liquid scrap dots. I just may have to give them a try!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project idea! It's so much fun working with pulp!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with this!! I can hardly wait to try it myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda :) can't wait to see your project, it will be awesome I am sure!

      Delete
  7. This is so AMAZINGLY AWESOME!! I often wonder what to do and how to do it. BAM, here you come.. and with VIDEO!!. I am so glad to see you go on this paper making journey! Your talents continue to AMAZE me.. your NO #1 fan.. ME ME ME ME!! lolol

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU Tamiko, you are the bestest most wonderful friend!! I am your #1 fan too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pulp painting and WOW to the video. I loved seeing how you did that. You could tell me a thousand times and I wouldn't get it, so the video was awesome for a hard headed learner like me. How fragile are the paper sheets that you make with this kit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are actually tough! The fibers bond together and it's an amazing process!! You should try it! Thank you for leaving me a comment!

      Delete
  10. How awesome Sandee!!! I LOVE that butterfly! You are one talented artist and I sit in wonder at everything you're accomplished at. Two thumbs up my friend!!
    Hugs,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. So awesome Sandee...very cool watching you put it together..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow really amazing job Sandy. Just love it & can't wait to get this cast off!! :)
    billy should be Betty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I was wondering if you had a nickname I didn't know about! Thanks for leaving me a comment!!

      Delete
  13. Looks like so much fun! The butterfly is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job, Sandee. You are so brave and adventuresome......always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful project. This could hang in a high end art gallery! Excellent presentation.
    Arnold would be proud. Great to have you on the team.
    Love and light,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Michele, I am loving the AG team!! You ladies rock and thank you so very much!!

      Delete
  16. My goodness, Sandee! So amazing to watch your process - thank you! I watched the video several times and I understand all the steps except for what surface the original butterfly is drawn or traced on. Is it a stretched canvas? or is it fabric cut out in the shape of a butterfly? Stunning. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on a stretched canvas Kim, and so glad you liked it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to create watermarks in your handmade paper

How to polish paper with a stone

Chigiri-e Japanese torn paper collage