“Life is Beautiful…..Believe”
©Michele Emerson-Roberts 2016
Mixed Media” is the “buzz” word in the art world these days. Some people think that means just throw a bunch of stuff onto a substrate and call it done! Sad to say, that is exactly what it looks like too! You still need to follow the basic elements and principles of design. The Grummer company has always championed making handmade paper using stuff that would have ended up in the trash. They have taught millions of people to make beautiful things adhering to this philosophy. Follow along to create your own piece of art. Mine is a Mother's Day gift for my mom.
· Any of the Arnold Grummer™ paper making kits
· A sunny window
· Blender, strainer, cello sponges and soft towels
· Scraps of white or off white and tan paper (think junk mail, etc.)
· Heart: Southern Ridge Trading Co.TM Chipboard “Rope Heart”
· Scraps of chip board to die cut (I used cereal boxes)
· Dies: Couture CreationsTM “life is beautiful” #CO724243, Ultimate Crafts™ Christmas Pageant Border #340842, and Quiet FireTM Designs “Believe”
· SpellbindersTM Grand Calibur die cutting machine
· Stencil: The Crafters Workshop #TCW554 BF Collage
· Antiquing ink pads in tans, rusts and light browns
· ColorBoxTM Stylus handle & white tips
· Beacon ZipDryTM Adhesive, old credit card
· Double sided foam tape
· Couture CreationsTM Premium Adhesive Pearls Glamorous Gold #CO724644
· Substrate: 8 ½ x 10 ¾” box insert from clear acrylic frame (or make your own)
1. Follow the instructions found in any of the Arnold Grummer™ paper making kits to create several sheets of light weight oatmeal colored speckled paper.
2. Before the paper is completely dry very slightly overlap the edges on the long side and press with the iron to join the sheets.
3. Apply the ZipDry™ adhesive to the substrate (I use old credit cards as a spreader)
4. Carefully smooth out the handmade paper, covering the top and sides of the box.
5. Allow adhesive to dry.
6. Apply inks around the edge of the box with the Stylus.
7. Use the various ink colors and stencils to add designs and interest to the surface.
8. Die cut 2 pieces of the lace border, 4 each of the word “Believe” and the words “life is beautiful” from the scraps of chipboard.
9. Layer and glue the world and saying to create thickness.
10. Apply a tiny bit of the ink colors to the word, saying and heart.
11. Attach the lace border to the top of the substrate with ZipDry™ adhesive.
12. Attach the heart to the lower left side of the box substrate with tiny pieces of foam tape.
13. Attach the saying to the middle right with ZipDry™ adhesive.
14. Attach the word to the lower right of the box with double side foam tape.
15. Place a pearl on each of the round areas of the lace, the dot of the “I” in Believe and the dot of the “I” beautiful.