Embossed Pearl Butterfly Card
©Michele Emerson-Roberts 2014
Some dear friends’ anniversary crept up on me and I had to get a card in the mail right away, and once again Arnold Grummer’s handmade/cast papers come to my rescue! I am so happy that I had a great selection of papers already made. It is such a delight to be able to create papers ahead of time and then just grab a sheet or two when you need a quick but exceptional card! Save that junk mail, it is an endless supply of pulp! Take some time today to make papers and castings for your future projects.
- Any of the Arnold Grummer paper making kits
- Scraps of white and grey or black paper (think junk mail, etc.)
- White or pearl grey text weight paper for message approx. 4 x 5”
- Clear envelope to fit card
- 8 ½ x 11” Butterfly rubbing/texture sheet or stencil (kids school supply)
- A sunny window
- Blender, small strainer, cello sponges and soft towels, scissors, craft knife and cutting surface
- Die: Spellbinders™ LF-006 Grand Shapabilities® Wonderful Wings
- Spellbinders Grand Calibur
- Beacon ZipDry™ Adhesive, double sided foam tape or foam dots
- 24” of 1” sheer pearl grey ribbon
- Small pale grey flat backed pearls
- Follow the directions for paper making and casting found in any of the Arnold Grummer paper making kits or books to create medium grey slurry.
- Create a sheet of medium grey paper.
- Add more white scrap to the slurry and create one sheet of light grey plain paper.
- Use the rubbing/texture sheet or stencil to create one sheet of cast/textured paper. NOTE - you want a deckled edge on the textured sheet.
- Place the sheet in a sunny window
to dry, and when the sheet of the cast/textured paper is dry, remove it
from the texture sheet.
- Die cut and emboss two filigree butterflies from the plain sheet of the light grey paper. (Save the leftovers for another future project.)
- Die cut two solid butterflies from the medium grey paper.
Assemble the card:
- Measure, score and fold the sheet of textured handmade paper to form a 4 ¼ X 5 ½” portfolio card. (Portrait orientation: Approx. 1 ½” from each side, 4” from the bottom and 3” from the top.)
- Add a message on the text weight paper.
- Attach it with double sided tape to the inside of the card.
- Cut a slit in the middle at the top and bottom folds of the card wide enough to insert the ribbon.
- Use the Beacon ZipDry™ adhesive to attach the light grey filigree butterflies to the medium grey solid butterflies.
- Use the foam tape or foam dot to attach one butterfly to the message paper and one butterfly to the outside of the portfolio card.
- Add the small pale grey flat backed pearls to the body of the outside butterfly.
- Tie the ribbon into a bow.
- Place the card into the clear envelope for mailing.