Double Duty Christmas Ornament


Take advantage of Arnold Grummer's 20% off during the month of July!!
Use code: JulyPromo.



By: Carole Lassak
Yes, you read that right, It did say Christmas. Yes, I know it's July. But, Christmas is my favorite holiday, and I think about it year round. Today I'll show you an  accordion booklet that doubles as an ornament and a gift.

I started with an Arnold Grummer's Mini Zig Zag Book and a sheet of handmade paper that I created using an Arnold Grummer's Papermaking Kit. I followed these standard directions when making my paper.

Here are the steps you can follow to create your own zig zag book:
  1. Ink the edges of the chipboard book covers.
  2. Coat one side of each of the book covers with an aggressive adhesive. I ran my covers through my Xyron.
  3. Decide side of your handmade paper will be the right side.
  4. With the right side of your handmade paper face down, place the adhesive side of the covers on the handmade paper. Firmly brayer to ensure a good bond. 
  5. Using a craft knife, cut out the covers. I love the deckled edges of handmade paper, so I was careful to position the book covers on the paper to take advantage of this feature on the bottom edge of my booklet.You can see the deckled edge of my handmade cover paper on the left side of the following photo.
  6. Ink or paint a ½" margin on all four sides of the inside of the covers. Set aside to dry. 
  7. Decorate the zig zag pages of your booklet. I used a variety of techniques—stenciling, stickers, rubber stamping, heat embossing, embellishing with rhinestones and Stickles. 
  8. Using a tape runner, put adhesive along the edges of the front folded page. Attach to the inside of the front cover. Repeat for the back cover.
  9. Add ornament hanger, ribbon, and cover decoration.

Here are the individual inside pages:
Glitter stenciled onto double faced taped
Stamped; berries highlighted with Stickles

Stamped; heat embossed

Composite scene; stamped; highlighted
with Copic markers and glaze pen

Stamped; embellished with
rhinestones

Stickers


I love sharing the spirit of the Christmas season, so I have a small tree decorated with ornaments that holiday guests may select as a small remembrance gift. So, this mini zig zag book will start as a tree ornament and end as a gift to a special guest.


You can see more projects on my Create & Craft blog.
Carole—Find me on Google

Comments

  1. This is a fun little book Carole and I love your idea of sharing from your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, you got Christmas in July off to a great start - thanks! I might have to incorporate your ornament gifting tree into our holidays this year. How many do you make ahead?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to create watermarks in your handmade paper

How to polish paper with a stone

Chigiri-e Japanese torn paper collage