Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Altered Key with Tamiko


Hello folks, Tamiko here.  For the last few weeks I have been looking at my stash of keys and I'm going to find a way to use them  or just toss them!!  Of course I found a way to use them! 

How to make a paper cast: 


Torn tissue papers and a few cups of water pulsed in the blender, creates a paper slurry.  I removed even more water by allowing the slurry to be processed through a strainer I found on the Arnold Grummer site.


I've then prepared my mold by brushing it lightly with a release agent like olive oil. After the mold was prepped,  we place pulp in the mold very carefully pressing it deeply into all the crevices of the cast.  I removed more water by pressing sponge against the mold.  You can let the paper dry by placing it in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes on a low temperature or let it air dry, for a few hours. Once the cast is dry, you can decorate as normal.


Thanks for stopping by the blog. I hope that seeing the paper casts inspire you to create some to embellish your projects with too!!!

For more inspiration subscribe  to the blog and the Arnold Grummer YouTube channel!!


7 comments:

  1. How very cooL! Would never have thought to try something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece to add to a mixed media canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just the cutest use for your keys. I can see some christmas angels (goddesses) made from them and attached to ribbons as a bookmark gift or attach them to tags on a package. Wow, my head is spinning with ideas from this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just the cutest use for your keys. I can see some christmas angels (goddesses) made from them and attached to ribbons as a bookmark gift or attach them to tags on a package. Wow, my head is spinning with ideas from this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT idea! Love the key......and you know to NEVER toss "treasures!
    Love and light,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete