©Michele Emerson-Roberts 2015
I love journals! Any shape, any size, any kind! I love creating them, using them and especially giving them as gifts. Two dear friends have birthdays this month and I wanted to create something extra special for them but was really short on time. I had two blank journals that I purchased several months back and knew with a few minutes of “creative time” they would be perfect for the birthday gifts.
Note: I had previously made the castings so the project took less than 15 minutes each to complete.
- Any of the Arnold Grummer paper making kits
- Blender, strainer, cello sponges and soft paper towels
- Sunny window, microwave or heat gun
- Scraps of white and Ivory/cream/tan paper (think junk mail etc.)
- Hands mold (I used a matrix board as a mold)
- ColorBoxTM Stylus™ handle and tips
- Water based inkpads in black/gray and rusty red
- One each 4 ¾ x 6 ¾” black and brown leather look blank journals
- 8” each black and rusty red ribbon
- Beacon QuickGrip™ Adhesive
- Follow the directions found in any of the Arnold Grummer™ paper making kits to create white slurry.
- Cast one or more of the hands mold. Dry the casting.
- Add tan scrap to the slurry and create one or more of the hand castings.
- Dry the casting. (I always make extra castings to have on hand for future projects.)
- Use the Stylus handle and tip to lightly color the white hands casting with black/gray ink.
- Lightly color the tan casting with the rusty red ink.
- Clean & dry the tips.
- Open the journals and attach the ribbon to the inside of the spines with adhesive.
- Attach the hand casting to the front of the journal covers with QuickGrip™ adhesive.